In the NS1 platform, device groups are collections of devices used to allow or deny access to DHCP services based on the MAC address or DHCP unique ID (DUID) of a device. For example, you can specify a device group to allow only registered network devices to access your DHCP network and then control the amount of time for which these devices can remain on the network.
As another example, say your organization opened a new office in New Jersey. Instead of allowing just any device to connect to the network, you may want to allow only approved devices. To do this, you can create device groups for the printers, computers, laptops, and mobile devices that are the property of your organization and then allow network access based on these groups.
In the NS1 portal, navigate to DHCP > Device Groups to view a list of existing device groups, if any, associated with your account.
Select a device group from the list to view more details about it in the "Details" side panel.
Create a device group
Follow the instructions below to create a new device group in the NS1 portal.
- Navigate to DHCP > Device Groups, and then click the + button in the upper right corner to create a new device group.
- When the Create Device Group dialog opens, specify a name for the device group.
- (Optional) Configure the expiry time in seconds by selecting the Configure Expiry option, then specify the amount of time after which a device expires and is removed from the device group. If you do not modify the expiry time, or if the expiry time is 0, devices in the device group will never expire.
- Click the Create button. The new device group appears in the list.
Edit a device group
You can modify the name and expiry time by editing the device group:
- Click the menu icon to the right of the name of the device group that you want to modify, then click Edit.
- Edit the name of the device group and (optionally) its expiry in the Edit Device Group dialog.
- Click Edit to save your changes.
Delete a device group
Click the menu icon to the right of the device group name, then click Delete.
After you have defined your device groups, add devices to the device group.